Each day is an opportunity to improve your life whether fulfilling a professional or personal goal, cutting out a dessert to eat healthier or walking to a meeting instead of taking a taxi for a little more exercise. Working in small changes to your lifestyle may be a challenge but can bring big rewards. Being healthy doesn’t mean things have to be boring.
Below are six steps you can easily implement for a healthier lifestyle:
- Don’t shop hungry – we tend to buy more when we are hungry. When you go food shopping make a list so you can stick to buying healthier options.
- Food swaps – healthier options for traditional comfort foods
- mashed cauliflower for potatoes
- avocado for mayo
- baked sweet potato fries for french fries
- banana “ice-cream” (mash a banana and freeze it) for ice-cream
- coconut water for fruit juice
- spaghetti squash for pasta
- De-stress – close your eyes and roll your neck around 3 times each way before and after internal office meetings (ask colleagues to join to spread the mindfulness)
- Sleep – get enough quality sleep and you will improve your daytime fatigue
- Exercise (even if lightly) – 3 > 10 minute walks per day can be just as affective as a daily 30 minute work-out
- Strengthen your core – remembering to roll your soldiers back and to sit up straight at your desk will not only improve your posture
Start small… little modifications can make a big impact on your well-being!